Information about the SAW:
General Info: The SAW, short for Squad Automatic Weapon, was the primary weapon of Saul and was retrieved from the arms room at the Army Reserve Cente.
- Chapter 4 - Used by Saul to clear "zombies" that got into the tower.
- Chapter 13 - Used by Burt and Angel to keep the "zombies" off the fire truck.
General Information on the SAW: The SAW provides
- Long-range, close defensive, and final protective fires as part of the squad’s defensive lines
- Close and continuous fire in support of front-line rifle squads
Weight The following table lists the approximate weights (in pounds) of the M249 SAW and box of 5.56 ammo.
|Item||Weight (in pounds)|
|Weapon (with bipod and tools)||17|
|200-round box (filled)||6.92|
Length The length of the M249 SAW is 40.75 inches.
Range The following table lists the range (in meters) for the M249 SAW.
|Type of Range||Range (in meters)|
Rate of Fire The following table lists the rate of fire (in rounds per minute) for the M249 SAW.
|Rate of Fire||Rounds per Minute|
Sights The following table lists the types of sights for the M249 SAW.
|Front||Semi-fixed hooded post|
|Rear||Fully adjustable peep type|
Descriptive Characteristics The M249 SAW is
- Gas-operated. Gas taken from the barrel acts on a piston directly fixed to the bolt carrier (slide). A single piston controls the gas pressure.
- Air-cooled. The barrel is air-cooled and has a fixed head space. No special cooling measures are required. The normal outside temperature provides adequate cooling in any climate.
- Belt- or magazine-fed. The M249 SAW uses a 200-round ammunition box consisting of a combat mix of linked ammunition under usual conditions. During firing, the links disengage and feeding is continuous. The weapon has an alternate 30-round magazine provision authorized only during emergency situations. Using the 30-round magazine reduces the performance of the weapon.